Broad Street Redevelopment Project Receives City Council Approval
We are pleased to announce that last Thursday, Victoria City Council voted 7-1 in support of our proposed redevelopment along the 1300-block of Broad Street bordered by Johnson Street to the north. This property is owned by the University of Victoria (UVic) and was bequeathed by Michael Williams to UVic in 2000, with the intent that it would act as an ongoing and increasing source of revenue for the University’s academic endeavours and programs.
We are proud to be moving forward with this purpose-built hotel project in Victoria that will bring 135 much-needed hotel rooms with supporting retail to the Old Town District.
The project aims to focus on revitalization, honouring the expressed wishes of Michael Williams for the donated properties, and preserving key heritage components. This project will:
- Support the economic renewal of the City of Victoria and the Old Town District.
- Celebrate and preserve the historical significance of the Duck’s Building and Duck’s Alley through the rehabilitation of the east and west walls and the largely obscured Duck’s Carriage Factory rubble stone wall (1874); the salvage and reuse of materials to be broadly enjoyed by the public in the lobby of the hotel; and, the creation of a Heritage Acknowledgement Program to educate visitors and residents alike.
- As per the wishes of Michael Williams, allow UVic Properties to retain ownership of the land and obtain annual income.
- Prioritize life safety through the creation of a commercial five and six-storey infill hotel in keeping with existing building heights, built to current building and seismic codes.
- Contribute to the revitalization of Broad Street through the development of a hotel with retail at grade and off-street parking.
The development will provide significant economic benefit to the City of Victoria both throughout construction and through ongoing operation.
We would like to thank everyone who has supported this proposal along the way. We look forward to bringing this project to fruition!