At Chard, we love immersing ourselves in the communities where we build. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Victoria and Metro Vancouver, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month we’ll feature Harris Green. Harris Green acts as the neighbourhood gateway to Downtown Victoria, providing many alternatives to suburban living. Whilst one of Victoria’s smallest neighbourhoods, this emerging community serves as a commercial and social hub ready to be explored. Defined by its lively local boutiques and walkable streets, Harris Green offers a community culture like no other.
We have complied some of our favourite spots throughout Harris Green, where you can take a coffee break, indulge in a bite to eat, and visit the local sights! Read on to check them out…
CAFES, COFFEE, BAKERIES
- Loft and Ladder Coffee House – A welcoming local “mom and pop coffee shop”, Loft and Ladder Coffee House has provided locally roasted coffee and fresh baked goods since 2004. With specialty seasonal drinks and ample seating, this friendly coffee house is the perfect spot for an afternoon break!
- The Cracked Mug – Located on the corner of Johnson and Cook, The Cracked Mug provides quality focused coffee, and in-house made foods. With its cozy atmosphere and inclusive dietary menu, The Cracked Mug is an ideal social or study spot.
- Blue Fox Café – A long time staple in the community, Blue Fox Café is recognizable by the line that wraps around the block – and with its homestyle all day breakfast we can confidently say it’s worth the wait. Experience a variety of favourites inspired by fresh local products for some of the best breakfast in the city!
- Bubby Rose Café – This quaint and cozy mainstay café brings both sweet and savoury options to the Harris Green neighbourhood. With welcoming indoor and outdoor seating areas, Bubby Rose Café attracts locals and tourist alike. With its many pet-friendly outdoor tables, this café is the perfect place during a late morning dog walk!
- Nor. Coffee – Nor. Coffee takes pride in offering a unique mix of Nordic-styled coffee and Scandinavian interior design inspired retail shopping. Make sure to stop by this modern, clean and minimalist space to enjoy craft beverages and find inspired, Nordic imported interior and home design items!
GOOD EATS & GOOD DRINKS
- Café Brio – This intimate yet lively Italian inspired café has been a Victoria favourite for over 25 years. Known for its fresh and frequently changing menu, Café Brio is the perfect place for a local date night!
- Boomtown – With one of the most vibrant patios in Victoria, Boomtown is the place to be in Harris Green. Known for their burritos, beer garden and bar, Boomtown is the perfect spot for evening happy hour. Enjoy craft beer, superb eats, and great service!
- Refuge Tap Room –. The Refuge Tap Room takes pride in its wide selection of beer, cider, and spirits. Discover its seated bar and a hidden outdoor patio to act as the perfect social gathering spot. It’s a relaxing yet lively spot to enjoy local and regional brews of all types.
- Bear & Joey –Whether you choose to dine in or order online, Bear & Joey brings Australian inspired brunch fare to all its dishes. From drinks to coffee and brunch, enjoy their interpretation of Sydney café culture in a spacious and vibrant backdrop great for engaging conversations.
- Hazel’s Ice Cream – A family operated ice cream vendor that brings the taste to you! Hazel’s Ice Cream serves up handmade desserts through a mobile solar powered cart that is constantly on the move. Hazel’s Ice Cream is the perfect afternoon treat for all ages Make sure to keep an eye on their social media to see new featured flavours!
SIGHTS TO SEE
- Pioneer Square – what was originally the main cemetery for Victoria in the 19th century, Pioneer Square has been converted into a city park. Find lush greenery and quiet places to unwind scattered throughout. A stroll through the park provides opportunities to learn more about Victoria history with headstones honouring members of the royal navy, voyagers, and many more!
- Sorensen Books – Known as one of the oldest bookshops in Victoria, Sorensen Books offers used, new, and rare pieces for everyone. Discover vintage and modern items exclusive to their store. Their friendly and welcoming staff are sure to expand your knowledge of literature!
- Visit the award-winning Alix Goolden Performance Hall. This performance hall offers concertgoers a one-of-a-kind experience with outstanding concerts brought to life on this spectacular stage. Home to the Victoria Conservatory of Music, this space plays host to students, faculty, and world-renowned performers alike! Make sure to check the events calendar for regular shows and functions.
Since 2013, Chard has completed six mixed-use developments within the Harris Green area. Completed in 2020 and 2021 respectively, The Yates on Yates and Vivid added close to 260 homes to this growing neighbourhood. We are excited to continue our commitment to this vibrant community with our proposed development to bring close to 500 rental homes to 1050 Yates.