At Chard, we love immersing ourselves in the communities where we build. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Victoria and Metro Vancouver, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month we’ll feature Fernwood. Fernwood is one of Victoria’s most central neighbourhoods and one of its oldest. This community has become the preferred destination for foodies, artists, and tourists looking for something unique. Defined by its mix of Victorian-era heritage homes, artsy attractions, and populated outdoor spaces, this community embodies the nickname of “Funky Fernwood”.
We have complied some of our favourite spots throughout Fernwood, where you can stop for a coffee, enjoy a bite to eat, and take in the local sights! Read on to check them out…
CAFES, COFFEE, BAKERIES
- Parsonage Café – Owned by local coffee roastery Fernwood Coffee, the bustling and upbeat Parsonage Café serves up excellent organic coffee and fresh breakfast food, accompanied by warm and welcoming staff that make this café the perfect place to start your day!
- Little June – Tucked away in the heart of Fernwood Square, this quaint coffee shop is a local favourite. Upon entering it’s easy to see why… with exposed brick interior, lots of great seating along the window and throughout, and delightful café fare of fresh sandwiches, baked goods, and excellent coffee. Whether you are eating breakfast on the go, or lingering for a cozy one, Little June has something for everyone.
- Fern Cafe and Bakery – Ironically not named after the Fernwood neighbourhood, Fern Café and Bakery is a niche café dedicated to serve 100% vegan goods. Enjoy a variety of specialty pastry items, and a full café menu (including all day breakfast) – with everything made in-house from scratch!
- Yoka’s Coffee & Honey – With more than twenty coffees to choose from, Yoka’s Coffee & Honey takes pride in its wide selection of fair trade, organic, and freshly roasted coffee. Make sure to stop by during the week to see their beans being roasted in-house. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can take home green beans to roast your own coffee!
- Joie French Café – A hidden gem surrounded by lush greenery, Joie French Café offers the ideal balance between sweet and savoury to be enjoyed in a warm atmosphere like no other. Known for their delicious crepes and welcoming staff, Joie French Café is the perfect place for a relaxing afternoon lunch.
Good Eats & Good Drinks
- The Fernwood Inn – Known as Fernwood’s community gathering space, The Fernwood Inn offers local cuisine, microbrews, and an engaging atmosphere. Discover a neighbourhood pub with a welcoming indoor and outdoor seating area excellent for friends and family and experience a unique environment that supports the “Funky Fernwood” reputation.
- Cold Comfort Ice Cream – Neighbouring the Fern Café and Bakery, this local delight is the go-to spot for handmade ice cream pints and sandwiches in classic and inventive flavours – made with organic, local ingredients, and serving up dairy-free, gluten, and vegan alternatives!
- Stage Wine Bar – Looking for an evening out in the neighbourhood? Stage Wine Bar is an intimate venue just off of Fernwood Square that offers tapas created from fresh, seasonal ingredients provided daily by local farms and purveyors, paired with a unique and well-curated wine menu!
- Fernwood Pizza Company – Whether you dine in or order online, the Fernwood Pizza Company boasts “the best crust in the world”. With a variety of different toppings and flavours, this place has a slice for everyone!
- Taco Justice Food Truck – Parked daily at the southern edge of North Park Village along Cook Street, Taco Justice serves up delicious Mexican, Asian, and West Coast inspired tacos, bringing together a unique collection of flavours to enjoy. Make sure you try out their ever-popular nachos libres!
Sights to See
- Fernwood Square – Featuring an eclectic and artsy collection of eateries, shops, and cafes, Fernwood Square is the community gathering place for locals and visitors alike. Not only has this location been captured in movies and television – including Netflix’s ‘Maid’ – Fernwood Square hosts seasonal markets, lively celebrations, and the annual neighbourhood celebration, Fernfest!
- Belfry Theatre – Located within Fernwood Square, the Belfry Theatre is dedicated to producing contemporary plays with an emphasis on Canadian work. Since 1976, the Belfry Theatre has been promoting cultural, educational, and artistic events through a variety of amazing shows.
- Fernwood General Store – At Gladstone and Fernwood, the Fernwood General Store offers an amazing selection of South African, Kosher, and specialty goods. This neighbourhood corner packs a punch with new culture and tastes featured in every aisle. Find a wide selection of unique items ranging from local to international origins.
- Royal Athletic Park – Seconds away from Fernwood Coffee, Royal Athletic Park is the perfect place to support your local sports teams. It’s home to the Victoria HarbourCats baseball team, so be prepared to cheer loud and proud!
Tucked into Fernwood’s southwest corner, Chard’s NEST and Haven developments are currently under construction! Haven – now completely sold-out – is Chard’s second attainable home ownership offering. Next door, sophisticated condos in a boutique-sized 12 storey building make NEST an exemplary choice within the Fernwood neighbourhood. Scheduled for completion next year, only a select few suites remain available for purchase. Don’t miss out on becoming a part of this flourishing community! Learn more about our remaining homes at NEST though the link below.
Visit The NEST Website