At Chard, we love immersing ourselves in the communities where we build. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Victoria and Metro Vancouver, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month we’ll feature Lions Gate Village. Serving as the gateway into the District of North Vancouver and encompassed by the Lions Gate Bridge and the Capilano River, Lions Gate Village is a pedestrian-oriented neighbourhood, offering a variety of local businesses and captivating sights for discovery.
We have complied some of our favourite spots throughout Lions Gate Village, where you can enjoy a coffee, delight in a taste of the local cuisine, and view the local sights! Read on to check them out…
CAFES, COFFEE, BAKERIES
- Bisou Bake Shop –Bisou Bake Shop offers an assortment of high-quality pastries – ranging from sweet treats to savory sandwiches – that are perfectly paired with their selection of coffees and teas.
- The Plant Based Workshop – This local shop takes pride in improving the benefits of plant-based living and is a small family-owned cafe that creates delicious and innovate food for everyone.
- Bad Dog Bread – A name inspired by the owner’s pastry loving pup, Bad Dog Bread brings an organic, artisan bakery to the community. Indulge in delicious brioches, cinnamon buns, and other delightful baked goods that surely will bring you back for more. Make sure you keep an eye out for them at local farmers markets!
- Capilano Market – A long time staple in the community, the Capilano Market is an excellent cozy café for your everyday needs. Find welcoming staff and a relaxing outdoor patio for you and your 4-legged friend to enjoy. Known for their outstanding sandwiches, the Capilano Market is a perfect place for a quick lunch break!
GOOD EATS & GOOD DRINKS
- The Corner Stone Bistro – Tucked within the neighboring residential area of Pemberton Heights, this bistro has been serving the Northshore since the 1920s! With tasty breakfast and lunch options, enjoy a delicious and diverse menu alongside frequent performances of live music.
- Douce Diner – Douce Dinner provides an ever-changing seasonal menu of hearty, healthy, and inspired dishes curated by Dawn Doucette – who has been a contestant on the Food Networks Canada’s Top Chef! Inspired by vintage aesthetics and a bright color pallet, this vibrant spot puts a premium touch into serving breakfast and lunch.
- Casa Corsi – A cornerstone in the North Vancouver community, this Italian restaurant serves classic Italian dishes with a passion for bringing people together over good food. With a cozy interior seating area and a vine-covered outdoor patio, this quaint, intimate family-run restaurant is the perfect place for a local date night!
- Smoke and Bones – Specializing in the art of Southern Style Barbecue, Smoke and Bones is known for its time-honored, slow, and low way of cooking food. Learning from legendary food figures such as Paul Kirk – known as “The Kansas City Baron of Barbecue” – this deep passion for cooking has earned Smoke and Bones numerous awards over the years.
- Pemberton Station Neighborhood Pub – As a staple in the community, the Pemberton Station Neighborhood Pub has served the area since 1986. With a large selection of different beers, great pub fare, and plenty of TVs to watch ‘the game’ on, this neighborhood pub is the perfect place to relax and socialize!
- Cornelia Fine Tacos – Whether you dine-in or grab take out, Cornelia Fine Tacos proudly serve traditional and delicious tacos – with dietary friendly, vegan, and vegetarian menu options so there’s plenty of options for everyone!
SIGHTS TO SEE
- Visit the Park Royal shopping center located at the border of the Lions Gate Village. Serving as Metro Vancouver’s second largest shopping destination, Park Royal presents endless opportunities to explore with over 200 stores, 35 places to dine, and a VIP cinema.
- The Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre is situated in the heart of Lions Gate Village and offers a wide range of recreation, arts, and education for the community to partake in. Find a full-sized gymnasium, expressive library, and welcoming classes for you to discover!
- Relax and play at Norgate Park, just a few streets south of The Lions Gate Community Recreation Centre, Norgate Park offers extensive fields, perfect for family frisbee games, competitive cricket, or a soccer match. There’s always something to do at this bustling community park!
- Flowing through the Lions Gate Village community, the Capilano River is where the river meets the ocean. You can experience walkable trails, bike routes and peaceful places to sit and take in the sights! Traversing the lower Capilano river is the perfect place for an afternoon activity.
- Discover a world of natural beauty at the Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. Known for its famous suspension bridge that stretches 140 meters long and stands 70 meters above the Capilano River, this is a must-see spot for travelers and locals alike. Make sure to explore the rainforest canopies in the treetops and an adrenaline-pumping cliff walk above the canyon during your visit!
In 2021 Chard completed its first Northshore development in Central Lonsdale, The Royals. We are excited to continue our commitment to this vibrant community with our proposed development at 1634-1748 Capilano, bringing both 169 hotel rooms and 423 much-needed purpose-built rental homes to Lions Gate Village.