At Chard, we love immersing ourselves in the communities where we build. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Metro Vancouver and Victoria, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month, we’re excited to be going back to our roots to highlight a neighbourhood we’ve long known and loved… Mount Pleasant. Among Vancouver’s most vibrant neighbourhoods, Mount Pleasant emulates a cool and contemporary aura with a genuine community feel. Known as one of Vancouver’s oldest neighbourhoods, a diverse collection of eateries, artwork, and landmarks embody the community of Mount Pleasant.
We have compiled some of our favourite spots throughout Mount Pleasant where you can enjoy a coffee, indulge in a bite to eat, and explore the local scenery!
CAFES, COFFEE, BAKERIES
- Elysian Coffee Roasters – At 7th & Ontario, Elysian Coffee provides a simplistic, quality-focused approach to coffee and pastries. With a focus beyond just coffee, Elysian creates a happy and welcoming environment perfect for a cozy and relaxing weekday afternoon.
- Cartems Donuts – Enjoy an extensive range of delicious and unique donuts served by friendly and welcoming staff. This donut shop sources local ingredients and provides additional vegan and gluten-free options. These famous donuts are sure to bring a smile to your face!
- Purebread Bakery – A family bakery originally established in Whistler, B.C., Purebread Bakery stays focused on creating passion in baking. With a beautiful display of bread, cakes and treats, Purebread Bakery has something different for everyone!
- Fife Bakery – This tiny yet upbeat sourdough bread bakery emits a welcoming feeling like no other. Created by the award-winning author and designer Perry Chua, this artesian bread and coffee shop is the perfect place to pick up a loaf of fresh bread for the week.
- Small Victory Bakery – Though the doors aren’t open just yet, the latest location of one of our favourite Vancouver bakeries is opening soon within a Chard-development location at 6th and Yukon. We can’t wait for the smell of freshly baked pastries, cinnamon rolls, and bread to waft down the street!
- The Federal Store – Tucked away in the heart of Mount Pleasant, The Federal Store defines what it is to be a quaint neighbourhood place! Enjoy exceptional coffee, fresh pastries, and additional goods and necessities. Surrounded by lush greenery, this is the perfect place to stop during an afternoon walk!
GOOD EATS & GOOD DRINKS
- 33 Acres Brewing Company – Visit a family operated brewing company that provides house-brewed craft beer. The expanded patio and minimalist interior make a perfect setting for gathering with friends!
- Sing Sing – Known as a lively late-night watering hole, Sing Sing is the perfect place to socialize! Surrounded by a festive atmosphere, enjoy a vast menu of Asian comfort food and great drinks.
- Zarak – Situated on the ground floor of Chard’s Elenore development, Zarak focuses on the elevated Afghan dining experience and specializes in capturing the authenticity of Afghan culture. Enjoy a lovely food menu that finds the perfect balance between the diversity of dishes and flavour cohesion.
- Tacofino – Whether you dine in or order online, Tacofino remains one of our favourite spots, no matter which of their locations you visit. At Tacofino Ocho, enjoy a busy and upbeat atmosphere paired with some next-level tacos.,!
- Vintage & Provisions – While the sign on the front stating “this is not a cult” may be the first thing to grab your attention at Vintage & Provisions, the interior of this small heritage building is equally as much of a standout. Designed with vintage décor, a vibrant patio, and internal seating that feels like a time warp, this is a funky spot to enjoy cocktails and tasty eats!
- Como Taperia – Located at 7th and Main Street in Chard’s Ellsworth development, Como Taperia pays homage to the traditional, time-honoured, standing-room-only tapas bars in Barcelona’s Poble Sec. Enjoy Spanish-focused beverages, playful modern dishes, and small tapas perfect for an evening out with friends!
- Main St. Brewing – A local gem that serves a combination of great beer and excellent pub fare. Within a beautiful heritage building, Main St. Brewing presents a warm and welcoming environment to socialize!
- Earnest Ice Cream – As a staple in the community, Earnest Ice Cream is recognizable by the line that wraps around the block, and with delicious flavours and an adventurous selection of ice cream, we can confidently say it’s worth the wait!
SIGHTS TO SEE
- Guelph Park – known as Dude Chilling Park by those in the know – is the ideal place for afternoon activities or an evening stroll. Inspired by the “Reclining Figure” sculpture, the Dude Chilling Park sign installation, originally created as a prank, was officially adopted by the city as a nod to the importance of this public art in the community. As a centrepiece of Mount Pleasant’s neighbourhood, this park is a great spot for an afternoon picnic, or take to the public tennis courts to get some fresh air and exercise!
- Relax and play at Jonathan Rogers Park – Just a few streets west of Guelph Park, this park offers extensive playing fields and many relaxing spots for leisure. As a popular place for watching the sunset behind the skyline and mountains, find local food trucks parked along neighbouring streets.
- City Centre Artists Lodge – Occupying the former City Centre Motor Hotel, this building is full of energy and artistic work. Focusing on strengthening Vancouver’s art scene, its events make this lodge a central hub for the public to connect with art and artists.
- Check out the many Mount Pleasant Murals scattered throughout the neighbourhood. The Vancouver Mural Festival was “born” in Mount Pleasant in 2016 and has since supported the creation of over 400 murals across Metro Vancouver. There are more than 130 murals in Mount Pleasant alone!
- Go shopping at Mintage Mall! Located at Kingsway and East Broadway, Mintage Mall has an incredible selection of unique second-hand apparel for your liking. With friendly staff, and eclectic pieces, this is the perfect place to find and try something new!
- Visit Science World, a spectacular and phenomenal experience for all ages! Engage in exhibits and activities that everyone in the family will love. Through the exciting world of science, we guarantee you will learn something new.
Since 2018, Chard has brought four developments to the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. We’ve added close to 150 homes to this vibrant community through our Elenore and Ellsworth buildings, and have welcomed numerous businesses to 34|W7 and The Yukon, our commercial strata developments. We’re looking forward to continuing our commitment to this thriving neighbourhood with our proposed project at Broadway and Ontario.