At Chard, we love immersing ourselves in the communities where we build. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Victoria and Metro Vancouver, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month we’ll feature Old Town. Old Town Victoria has been the city’s social and commercial focal point since the mid 1800s! Defined by its tourist attractions, speciality shops, and ocean views, Old Town is the city’s most vibrant and bustling district, drawing in visitors and locals alike. Reflected in the hundreds of heritage buildings, discover hints of the past that pay homage to the rum smuggling, fur trading, and gold prospecting that dominated the area.
We have gathered some of our favourite spots throughout Old Town, where you can pause for a coffee, enjoy a bite to eat, and explore the nearby attractions! Check them out below!
CAFES, COFFEE, BAKERIES
- Hey Happy – Located in the heart of Old Town at the corner of Johnson Street, Hey Happy presents a sleek coffee bar serving up pastries and crafting delicious java drinks in a space designed to foster conversations and connection. Looking for a go-to place to buy your coffee beans? Make sure you check out their coffee subscriptions so you can enjoy fresh beans delivered every month!
- Union Pacific Coffee Shop – This quaint yet rustic coffee shop provides an inviting space to enjoy fresh coffee and locally made baked goods and sandwiches. Known for having a simple-yet-delicious menu featuring an all-day breakfast and its welcoming staff, this café makes for a perfect spot to spend a cozy weekend morning.
- Crust Bakery – Opened in 2013 and shortly after named Victoria’s best bakery, Crust has developed a reputation for excellence in crafting innovative and exquisite baked goods. With Australian inspired cooking, discover freshly prepared sandwiches, tartlets, and pastries for a delightful taste of ‘down under.’
GOOD EATS & GOOD DRINKS
- The Sticky Wicket Bar & Restaurant – Known as Vancouver Island biggest pub, this multilevel establishment is never without a lively and vibrant atmosphere. From a cricket themed pub to a rooftop patio with exciting events all season long, The Sticky Wicket has something for everyone!
- 10 Acres Bistro – Supplied by their 10-acre farm, 10 Acres Bistro brings farm-to-fork meals to the corner of Courtney and Gordon St. Enjoy an open concept indoor and outdoor seating area, the perfect option for a romantic dinner!
- II Terrazzo – Looking for an intimate candlelit nook with a notable wine list? II Terrazzo is a warm and welcoming fine dining Italian venue just off Market Square. Within its warm patio seating and brick fireplaces, II Terrazzo offers a northern Italian inspired menu with a pacific northwest twist!
- Foo – Whether you choose to dine in or order online, Foo brings a wide range of Asian inspired dishes, drawing on influence from Southeast Asia. Perfect for a business lunch, quick take out, or the start of a night out – enjoy Asian street food in location that combines a “hawker stall” feel with a modern and laid-back atmosphere.
- Bard & Banker – This heritage building that was once the Bank of British Columbia is soaked in history that can be seen today in the finishes throughout. Now a coveted restaurant establishment in the community, Bard & Banker is the perfect spot for elevated pub fare, local live music, and innovative fresh drinks.
- Tug Eatery and Bar – Situated on Victoria’s vibrant waterfront, celebrate island life every day at Tug Eatery and Bar.Known for its giant waterfront patio, enjoy tasty cocktails, cold craft beer, and a food menu that takes pride in its inspired yet simple dishes. Enjoy a relaxing and social evening at this locally owned and operated venue!
- Whistle Buoy Brewing Company – Located in the heart of Market Square, this brewery makes experimental small-batch beers with high-quality ingredients. With a mission to make the best beer possible through the constant innovation of flavours and techniques, experience Victoria’s foodie culture within a lively indoor and outdoor venue.
SIGHTS TO SEE
- Market Square – Featuring a diverse collection of local boutiques and eateries, Market Square offers a wonderful shopping experience in a community gathering place for locals and visitors alike. Find locally made jewelry, the latest fashion trends, and one-of-a-kind restaurants all within steps of each other!
- Check out Bastion Square Market – This public market brings vibrancy and colourfulness to the Old Town community. Pay homage the city’s history through the surrounding heritage buildings while experiencing its growth and development. Featuring countless vendors, makers, and musicians, Bastion Square is the perfect place for a weekend afternoon.
- Inner Harbour – Framed by the BC Parliament Building and the Victoria Visitor Centre, the Inner Harbour provides a picturesque setting for you to discover. From horse-drawn carriage rides to relaxing ferry trips, there is something for everyone. Experience local culture and rich history lined through local vendors and artisanal crafts.
Chard’s roots in Victoria run deep, and we take pride in the many projects we’ve delivered downtown, bringing residential homes to this vibrant community. As we continue to build within the neighbourhoods that make up Victoria’s core, we are excited to be bringing 135 much-needed hotel rooms to Victoria’s Old Town District.