At Chard, one of our favourite parts of what we do is getting to learn more about the neighbourhoods we love and the communities we build in. As we continue to expand and deliver homes and commercial spaces across Metro Vancouver and Victoria, we’re excited to highlight and share some of the great amenities and destinations that make each neighbourhood so special.
This month we’ll feature South Vancouver – an area with a rich history that has evolved significantly since the completion of the Canada Line SkyTrain and its connectivity to Vancouver’s downtown core, YVR and Richmond.
We’ve compiled some of our favourite spots to grab a coffee, a bite to eat, or a pint; and nearby destinations for shopping, entertainment, and scenic walks – check them out below.
First stop for us is always coffee! Whether you’re a plain coffee drinker, a specialty coffee connoisseur, or someone who is just in it for the pastries (no judgement here) – we’ve got you covered with a couple of our favourites.
- Gigi Blin Market – Located in a charming historic space, this mom & pop café has a great selection of espresso drinks, baked goods and sandwiches. As an added bonus, you can also grab a selection of locally sourced groceries.
- Wick’s Café – If you are looking for your regular spot for a coffee meet-up with friends, this is the place. Wick’s is warm and welcoming, with a wonderful selection of baked goods to choose from!
When it comes to that post-workday beverage, go-to lunch spot, or just an evening out with good food and some fun entertainment, we have some recommendations!
- Milltown Bar & Grill – Situated along the Marina overlooking the Fraser River, the Milltown Bar & Grill offers scenic views and inspired local food. Plus, there are always fun events taking place including trivia nights, happy hours, and live music!
- Bespoke & Sushi – This is the perfect place for a delicious lunchtime grab and go!
- Dublin Crossing – With a cozy yet vibrant pub vibe, Dublin Crossing is the perfect spot to stop by for a post work pint or to come in for dinner and enjoy some classic pub food!
- Dogwood Brewing – This laid-back brewery offers craft beer made with local ingredients. Pop by to pick some up or stay in and enjoy their tasting room’s on tap selection along with hand-crafted pizzas!
One of our favourite things about South Vancouver is how it offers superb water views and outdoor opportunities along with all the ease of a hyper-connected urban hub!
- Explore Fraser River Park – Running along the Fraser River, this dog-friendly park has a scenic walking trail loop perfect for getting outside and enjoying the fresh air with your furry friend.
- Bike the North Arm Bridge – Completed in 2009 as part of the Canada Line SkyTrain, the North Arm Bridge connects South Vancouver directly with Richmond. A car-free path is located below the tracks on the west side of the bridge. Open to cyclists, pedestrians and pets (on leash), this is a quick and safe connector for those looking to venture beyond South Vancouver.
- Visit Marine Gateway – Directly connected to the Marine Drive Canada Line Station is Marine Gateway, an epicentre for all your conveniences in one place complete with restaurants, coffee, banking, grocery stores, a drug store, and a movie theatre!
Looking for an opportunity to set up some roots in this neighbourhood? We have two exciting projects underway in South Vancouver. Forum offers commercial strata space for purchase to those looking to serve this transformative neighbourhood. This future neighbourhood hub includes office, light industrial, and retail space in a variety of sizes. Just one block east of Forum (and one block west of Marine Station), we’ve just started construction on nearly 600 purpose-built rental homes. Residents will enjoy close to 22,000 sqft of dedicated lifestyle amenities – including a sport court, rooftop entertainment space and a dog run – in additional to a large public plaza, a childcare centre and significant retail space! We’re excited to build upon this neighbourhood’s strong roots and be a part of its growth.
(Images below courtesy of the business website and public Google reviews)